Decluttering, KonMari and Living with Joy seem to be the latest buzz words at the moment, every time I open my Facebook I’m greeted with another perfectly folded drawer or closet, so I thought I would give you some additional tips from a Colour and Image consultant’s perspective to help you evaluate what should stay and what should go from your closet.
1. Do you look and fabulous in it? Does it steal your energy or amplify and support you? You might love a piece, but it might not look good on you. I loved Autumn colours, but they didn’t love me, they made me look sick, boring and older whereas the Summer palette makes me look healthy, vibrant and younger. It’s not whether you love the colour it’s whether the colour loves you!
2. Does the style suit your current body shape? More importantly, does it suit your personality? As women we play many different roles, does your clothing have the same look and feel to it no matter the occasion? Or are you playing dress-up? Have you lost your sense of style or your sense of identity? Think about whether you are dressing the person you are or the one used to be or you want to be?
3. Does the item compliment the other items in your wardrobe? Or will you have to buy new items to make it work? Make sure you don’t end up with a wardrobe full of incompatible items that can’t mix and match.
4. Will you wear the item? You might love it, but maybe it’s completely impractical for your lifestyle. Everything in your wardrobe should earn its keep, should be worn frequently, be loved, and do the job you want it to do.
5. Does it fit you NOW? It needs to work for you now to be part of your current wardrobe. If you are on a weightloss journey simply pack the items away and re-evaluate them in a few months, don’t leave them in your wardrobe, they will just sap your energy.
If you follow these tips you should end up with a wardrobe of clothes you love, that bring you joy, that fits you and coordinate with each other and most importantly make you look and feel fabulous.
If you don’t know what colours and styles suit you then let’s have a chat. In my classes you’ll learn how to recognise the styles, shapes, colours and fabrics that suit you, giving you a framework to follow so you only choose clothes that work for you. My Colour and Style Classes can now be done virtually or face to face.